The mission of the Mountain Home Public Library is to strengthen the community, enrich lives, and be connected.
- Provide easy access to all library resources.
- Make resources visible to all library patrons.
- Provide an inviting and comfortable space.
- Employ a professional and customer-oriented staff.
- Protect the privacy of everyone who uses the library.
It is the vision of the Mountain Home Public Library to Strengthen, Expand and Provide:
- Strengthen the community’s wellness.
- Expand the knowledge and learning opportunities of all residents.
- Provide access to Library resources and services.
In 1903, Village Trustees appointed the first Board of Directors and a public reading room was created in Mountain Home. In 1907, the small collection was such a success the Library Board approached city fathers to obtain a commitment to an ongoing levy. Following approval, the Andrew Carnegie Foundation provided funds to build a permanent facility, and on November 19, 1908, the Mountain Home Carnegie Library, equipped only with a furnace and a few books, was dedicated. The Library was on the move and things only got better from then on.
In 1973, librarians left the Carnegie building to move into a newly constructed library building. (The Carnegie Library became the home of the City’s historical museum). Over the next thirty year period, space again became a premium and voters went to the polls for another time. Mountain Home residents passed a second bond initiative which doubled the size of the existing building and the Library reopened on March 17, 2006.
Mountain Home Public Library continues to expand its collection of general interest items; digital and electronic resources; public use computers and Wi-Fi access; a public conference room; and a common area with a coffee shop and outdoor patio seating.